Halifax Regional Municipality
• Regional Council has voted to provide immediate relief to both residential and business customers by deferring the interim tax bill due date from April 30, 2020 to June 1, 2020. In addition, councillors voted to suspend Non-Sufficient Fund fees, and to reduce the interest rate charged on arrears from 15% per annum to 10% per annum.
• The difficult decision has been made to reduce budgeted staffing levels by approximately 1,480. These casual, temporary and seasonal employees who normally provide service to the public cannot due to the pandemic.This number includes more than 500 seasonal employees who are not currently employed, but will no longer be hired this spring and summer as planned, including seasonal recreation staff.
• Halifax Water customers may defer payments on overdue accounts from March 13 - July 31, 2020. No interest will be charged on overdue accounts and dishonoured payment fees will be waived from March 13 – July 31, 2020. Disconnection of service for nonpayment is suspended until July 31, 2020.
• Payments to vendors and suppliers will continue, as well as procurement tenders.
• All fare collection is suspended on bus and ferry services to support the municipality’s commitment to safe social distancing.
• Parking fees at meters are waived and HotSpot fees have been be set to zero.
• Enforcement of hourly spaces and monthly permit parking is suspended until further notice.
• Halifax Public Library is offering temporary library cards to all Nova Scotia residents.
• All municipal parks, beaches, playgrounds, sports fields/courts, and trails are closed until further notice.