Solid waste services cost Nova Scotians over $120 million a year. NSFM is part of the Solid Waste Priorities Committee and is working with the Solid Waste Chairs, Divert NS, the Nova Scotia Environment and the Department of Municipal Affairs on a number of initiatives. One is a study on the effectiveness and efficiency of the current solid waste resource management system in the province. An RFP was issued and a contract awarded in early 2018. The Request for proposal is below. The study will take several months.
The second major initiative is to develop a model for extended producer responsibility for printed paper and packaging. Consultations will be held in the spring and summer of 2018 with municipalities and stakeholders. A fact sheet on EPR is below.
- pdf Pros and Cons of Full Versus Shared EPR Model (126 KB)
- pdf UNSM Extended Producer Responsibility (EPR) Panel Nov 2015 (841 KB)
- pdf Extended Producer Responsibility Fact Sheet (164 KB)
- pdf Priorities Group Terms of Reference - February 5, 2016 (268 KB)
- pdf Request for Proposal - Efficiency and Effectiveness of the Solid Waste-Resource Management System in Nova Scotia (922 KB)