The Nova Scotia Federation of Municipalities (NSFM) is pleased to establish the Ken Simpson Memorial Award for Outstanding Public Service and Leadership in Nova Scotia Municipal Government. This Award perpetuates the memory of Kenneth Robert Bruce Simpson who served as Executive Director of the former Nova Scotia Federation of Municipalities (UNSM) for 19 years, from 1990 to 2009. Ken passed away tragically from cancer on April 17, 2011 at the age of 51. Throughout his tenure, Ken demonstrated exemplary public service, leadership and organizational vision. Ken was an intelligent, ethical, honest, imaginative, loyal and dedicated employee. Under his management leadership, the UNSM prospered and grew into the acknowledged, collective voice of Nova Scotia municipal government.
The establishment of the Ken Simpson Memorial Award provides an opportunity for the NSFM to recognize a current or former mayor, warden or councillor whose actions and demeanor demonstrates:
- exceptional community leadership, statesmanship and commitment to good governance
- efforts that improve the quality of life for residents in the municipality
- personal qualities of integrity, intelligence and vision
- respect for others' views and treatment of municipal colleagues, employees and other stakeholders with courtesy, openess, patience and fairness
Award Selection Committee
An Award Selection Committee shall be established and comprised of the NSFM President, Vice-President, Immediate Past President and Executive Director. The NSFM Policy Analyst shall serve as the secretary to the committee. The Committee shall select the successful applicant based on a scoring system from criteria developed by the Committee.
- Only current or former Nova Scotia municipal elected officials are eligible for nomination
- Nominations may be made by elected officials of the member municipality and/or by municipal staff who have knowledge of the individual's contributions
- The application form should be accompanied by signed, supporting letters (minimum of two, maximum of five), which describe the nominee's exceptional contributions to municipal government and character within the above listed program criteria.
- Person's nominated but not selected for the award may be re-nominated in subsequent years
The 2019 Memorial Award Application deadline is SEPTEMBER 13th
Presentation of Award
The Ken Simpson Memorial Award is presented to the successful recipient at the NSFM Annual Conference.
Previous Recipients of the Award
- 2017 - Mr. Aldric d'Entremont, former Warden for the District of Argye
- 2015 - Mr. Laurence Mawhinney, former Mayor for the Town of Lunenburg
- 2013 - Mr. Robert Stead, former Mayor for the Town of Wolfville