Accountability and Transparency
Public trust in municipal elected officials is critical to earn. One area municipalities has been working on with the province is the area of reporting travel and hospitality expenses.
At the request of the Minister of Municipal Affairs, the Joint Municipal Accountability and Transparency Committee was establish in November 2016. The Committee was chaired by Warden Bruce Morrison and included Mayor Sandra Snow, Lois MacCormick (chair, Association of NS Villages), CAO’s Greg Herrett and Mike Dolter. The Committee was supported by staff from the Department of Municipal Affairs, NSFM, and AMANS. Their report was submitted to FNSM, AMANS and DMA. The Minister introduced changes in the Municipal Government Act, and the changes were passed by the Legislature in the spring of 2017.
As well, in February, 2017, NSFM held a workshop with members to discuss the matter of expense policing. Presentations from Greg Herrett, CAO Amherst, and Michael Pickup, NS Auditor General are below.
Another resource is a presentation on good governance through parliamentary procedure by Bernie White, registered parliamentarian and former Municipal Clerk for CBRM.
- pdf Joint Municipal Accountability and Transparency Committee Recommendations Report (607 KB)
- Act to Amend the MGA to include expense
- pdf Expense Policies - by Greg Herrett (87 KB)
- pdf It's Public Money - That Simple - by Michael A. Pickup (412 KB)
- pdf Model Expense Reimbursement Policy (152 KB)
- pdf Model Hospitality Policy (87 KB)
- pdf Rules of Order - Who Needs Them!! (10.76 MB)